Amazing Vegan Cornbread
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 Tbsp if flaxseeds ground mixed with 1 Tbsp of unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup agave (can add more for a sweeter bread, mine is for stuffing)
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 cup almond milk
Just pop it in the oven in a glass baking dish (sprayed w/ oil) for 20-25 minutes at 400 F, until it is deliciously golden brown! Like I said; it is a really easy mixture of ingredients. I proceeded to cut it into tiny cubes and lay the pieces on a baking sheet on top of the stove (since I had more oven-work to do) to dry out for the stuffing.
The stuffing I made with it turned out to be fantastic as well:
Vegan Crustless Sweet Potato Pie
My next effort in the culinary works was roasting 4 sweet potatoes in the oven for my vegan, crust-less pie. All I used was a blender and a spoon. How ridiculously awesome is that?
- 1.5 cup almond milk (unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 2 cup mashed, roasted sweet potato (yum! feed Ian the skins :D)
Mix these together in the blender (purée) and add to it:
- 1/2 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup light brown surgar (depending on sweetness at this point)
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1/4 tsp. each ground ginger, ground cloves, and ground nutmeg
- 1.5 tsp. ground cinnamon
Let it whirl until totally puréed in the blender and pour into a pie plate (ideally 9"). It rises quite a bit during the cooking process and gets a really nice crust on the top. The sides act as a sort of crust as well, and it doesn't require the heavy pastry that is so characteristic of a pie.
Try out this avante-garde style of pie-making, and see what people say when there is no buttery pastry to bite into. I guarantee only the staunchest of pie purists will even chide you as they gobble down this marvelous concoction regardless! My family, omnivores and pie-enthusiasts alike, gobbled it up, and my dad, one who does not like dessert in the least, actually raved about it as well. I was amazed.