One of my favorite foods in Chile is Palta Reina or Palta Rellena which is a stuffed avocado. It is incredibly delicious. Usually, the inside is stuffed with a chicken salad-like concoction. The avocado holds the filling like a cup and when a you take a bit of the entire avocado and salad combination it is creamy and crunchy at the same time.
Friday, December 3, 2010
The best thing about this dish is that it is a great way to use left-overs in the refrigerator. Using leftover Thanksgiving turkey instead of chicken is a smart alternative. Also, the recipe is subtle enough to substitute almost anything for the chicken. One can use ham, canned tuna, rice, potato or tofu.
Palta Rellena (makes 2 servings)
-1/2 cup of cut up cilantro
-1/2 cup of diced onions
-Piece of pre-cooked chicken
-Mayonnaise and Mustard
1. Peel the avocado and slice it in half
2. Debone the cooked chicken.
3. Cut the chicken into very small pieces. Add the cilantro and the onion. Mix in a teaspoon of mustard and a tablespoon of mayonnaise (or to taste). Add a pinch of salt (or to taste).
4. Spoon the chicken salad mixture into the holes in the avocado halves and pack in the salad.
5. Voila! You have a Palta Rellena.
Note: You could cover everything with another bowl if you would like to save the meal for later.