Monday, February 14, 2011

Fuji Mountain and Yogorino

My friend and I arrived at Fuji Mountain for an early dinner around 5 pm. The dim-lighted restaurant had a quiet and intimate atmosphere, with many booths and two-person tables. After we were given wet towels (which I appreciated) and iced water by the kimono-clad server, we dove into the menu. The extensive menu had many options to choose from, with lists of hot and cold appetizers, kitchen entrees, noodles, sushi, and donburi (rice with cooked meat, fish, or vegetables on top). My copycat companion and I ordered pork katsudon ($14), donburi with fried cutlets, which was served with salad and miso soup. The restaurant was generous with the soup, served in a regular rice-bowl-sized bowl, as most complimentary miso soup comes in cups or small bowls in other Japanese restaurants.

It was particularly welcome, as we had been walking around the cold windy streets. It was slightly milder than most other miso soup I had tasted; the miso flavour was not as strong, but it was not in any way bland. It had a sweet aftertaste, and was the perfect companion to the salad. The salad was in a similar-sized bowl, with mixed greens, lettuce, three slices of cucumber, and thinly sliced carrots, topped with ginger carrot sauce with a tinge of miso flavour. The ginger sauce was excellent and was just the right amount. Soon after we finished the crisp all-vegetable salad, the server brought out the katsudon. It had steaming rice topped with strips of lightly fried pork, softly-cooked egg, thin shreds of seaweed, and three small slices of sweet pickled radish. The onion, the pork, and the moist white rice left a bit of sweetness in my mouth, and the radish accented that. I liked the mix of sweet, tangy and crunchy radish with the rice and meat, but my friend said it would have been better if it came as a side. The price range for a dinner dish is $10 to $27. I left the restaurant feeling satisfied, and promised myself that I would try the sushi next time and take advantage of the Karaoke they have on their 3rd and 4th floors (try the bar if you are 21 or up). The one tiny complaint I have about Fuji Mountain is their chopsticks. Their edges were simply too sharp for a comfortable grip.

Fuji Mountain
2030 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19103
215.751.0939

Next we took a 5-minute walk to Yogorino, my favourite dessert spot in Philadelphia. Voted Best Frozen Yogurt in Philly 2010 by Philadelphia Magazine, this small corner spot boasts only one flavour--tart. It is creamy, rich, and not too sweet, perfect with just one fruit topping and chocolate sauce (but since the yogurt by itself is so good, I would recommend trying it without sauce as well). Yogorino prides itself on being environmentally-friendly, including its biodegradable cups and probiotic food. It is a bit on the expensive side for froyo: $3 for a "mini," with extra charge for 2nd choice of topping and up. The cup is also deceiving; it has another curved layer floating on top of the bottom of the cup, so it looks like you got more than what you actually did. Still, when I have my taste buds set for delicious frozen yogurt, I always find myself going back to Yogorino for more.

Yogorino
230 S. 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103
267.639.5287

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...