Baked Pasta with Butternut Squash and Bacon: Serves 6
Lots of squash in season right now so make full use of them for your fall comfort food!
1 box of pasta of your choice (boiled al dente and drained)
1 medium size butternut squash (about 2 lbs)
8 slices bacon (diced)
1 cup button mushrooms (quartered)
1 cup fresh tomatoes (diced)
1 cup sharp cheddar (shredded)
1 cup blue cheese (crumbled)
1 cup walnuts (diced)
1 clove garlic (diced)
1/2 cup fresh sage (diced)
1/2 cup rosemary (diced)
1/2 cup cilantro (for garnish)
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese (for garnish)
Salt and pepper (to individual taste)
- Halve and bake the squash with some olive oil, salt and pepper at 350 F for about 30 minutes and allow it to cool.
- Prepare sauce in the meantime, using steps 3-6
- Stir fry garlic with 2 tablespoons of olive oil until light-brown.
- Add in bacon and fry until slightly crispy.
- Add in mushrooms, tomato, walnuts and herbs (sage and rosemary), and turn down to low heat until reduced
- Season with salt and pepper
- Peel and cut squash into 1-inch cubes.
- Scatter the sauce and cheeses (cheddar and blue cheese) evenly over the pasta in a 7-inch by 11-inch casserole.
- Sprinkle 4 tablespoons of olive oil over the pasta mix.
- Bake in preheated oven at 350F for 15 minutes or until cheeses are melted and slightly browned.
- Serve with cilantro and Parmesan cheese garnish.