Friday, November 4, 2011

Best Brunch in Town

Looking for a perfect Sunday brunch? Well, look no farther because Green Eggs Café is your destination. Located in South Philly at 1306 Dickinson Street, this exceptional eatery specializes in carefully crafted breakfast and lunch items that will soon be your favorites!

This past Sunday, my family and I ventured to Green Eggs Café. Although Sunday is the restaurant’s busiest day and the wait was an hour, there is no doubt in my mind that the long wait was worth the quality meal we received. While waiting, I admired the hip, urban, and “green” themed environment of the restaurant. The cozy, comfortable atmosphere was made complete with the warm fireplace which I ended up standing by to escape the frigid, autumn weather. I noticed the green plants which were dispersed throughout the building and added to the earthy, environmental quality of the café. Although I didn’t make it to the roof of the restaurant, I was told by a waitress that there are even more plants up there. In fact, some of the spices in the menu selections are even grown in the restaurant’s rooftop garden.

The only difficulty I encountered at Green Eggs Café was trying to figure out what to order since the menu description of every item sounded superb. Even though the menu is divided into categories of Eggs, Sweet, Savory, Sandwiches and Salads, it is even hard to choose among the food items listed in the same category. I was faced with the following dilemma: if I ate under the Eggs section, then did I want the Ultimate Tofu Scramble (firm tofu, green peppers, Spanish onions, chiffonade of spinach, and vegan breakfast sausage with toasted Le Bus bread) or the Philly Style Eggs Benedict (grilled pork loin on a pretzel roll with Philadelphia cream cheese, topped with two poached eggs and béarnaise sauce)? But if I ordered within the Sweet section, would I rather eat the Crème Brulee French Toast (vanilla bean custard, fresh berry compote, drizzled with vanilla anglaise and warm 100% maple syrup, topped with Chantilly cream and fresh berries), Peanut Butter Crunch French Toast (brioche slices stuffed with whipped crunchy peanut butter cream cheese, topped with chantilly cream, fresh berry compote, and blackberry coulis), or Red Velvet Pancakes (red velvet buttermilk pancakes with chocolate morsels layered with strawberry mascarpone and topped with fresh strawberries, pure maple syrup & chantilly cream)?

Then, I pondered the Savory section. The “Kitchen Sink” (three eggs scrambled with cheese, our signature potatoes, peppers, and onions, topped with homemade jumbo biscuit and country sausage gravy in a cast-iron skillet) and the Breakfast Burrito (habañero tortilla with eggs, olives, corn, house made chorizo, potatoes, peppers, and onions, tex mex cheese topped with pico de gallo, sour cream, avocado, and fire roasted red pepper black bean sauce) both sounded delicious. Within the Sandwich category, I knew I would enjoy the Veggie Burger (beets, French lentils, yellow onion, quinoa, jalapeños, herbs & spices topped with lettuce, tomato and chipotle mayo on a brioche bun) and the Crab Cake (panko encrusted lump crab meat with lettuce, tomato and remoulade sauce on a brioche bun). In the Salads section, the Beet Salad (pickled beets, mixed greens, goat cheese, toasted walnuts, red onions and mandarin orange segments with an orange balsamic vinaigrette) and Steak Salad (marinated flank steak served with an arugula salad, potato confit and roasted tomatoes tossed in a chimichurri vinaigrette, topped with onion frites and a fried egg) both sounded appetizing.

Considering I am a person who has trouble making decisions, I was overwhelmed, but in a good way, with all of these wonderful menu items. I knew I couldn’t go wrong with any selection so I did what any reasonable person would do under these circumstances—I split two menu items with my mom. We (but when I say “we,” I really mean “I” since I pretty much told her what sounded most delicious to me) opted for the Red Velvet Pancakes and Veggie Burger with sweet potato fries. Both items were absolutely phenomenal. The Red Velvet Pancakes were square with crisp edges and were layered with decadent cream cheese frosting. Strawberries and whipped cream topped them off, and powdered sugar was sprinkled on their edges. Green Eggs Café achieved the perfect consistency and balance of flavor on this dish in that the pancakes were not bland but not overwhelmingly sweet. The Veggie Burger was just as scrumptious and consisted of a fairly red patty. The chipotle mayo added a certain kick to the meal and left my taste buds wanting more. Dusted with cinnamon, the sweet potato fries were not only fresh but also flavorful.

All in all, I had the perfect meal on Sunday, and my companions did too. I hope you, too, can visit the Green Eggs Café soon and have your own scrumptious brunch experience!

(Don’t forget to bring cash though since Green Eggs Café can’t accept credit cards.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...