Thursday, March 15, 2012

A New Love: Deep Dark Chocolate Cookies

I’m in love: utterly, hopelessly, head-over-heels in love with a cookie. I have a special place in my heart for baked goods in general, but this cookie and I are a match made by Cupid. It’s richer and more chocolately than chocolate itself. It’s amazing and gooey just out of the oven, but even when it has cooled it retains a remarkable richness, moistness, and depth of flavor. It’s like a molten chocolate cake in cookie form, and for every chocoholic out there, it’s a must-try.

This cookie of my dreams is Bon Appetit’s Deep Dark Chocolate Cookie. When I first read the recipe, I was a bit surprised by the ingredients. These cookies are flourless (gluten-free!) and are made without butter or oil. In fact, the base ingredients – egg whites and powdered sugar - are similar to those of meringues. Somehow, however, they work to a completely different effect in this recipe, producing a texture and intensity entirely unlike the airy and sticky crunch of meringues. Biting into one of these decadent chocolate cookies, one would never know that it wasn’t loaded with butter.

The recipe has only six ingredients and is quite quick to make. I wouldn’t call it easy as working with egg whites can be a bit of a challenge (I wouldn’t attempt it without an electric mixer.), but the recipe isn’t difficult either. The result is undoubtedly worth the effort required.

You can find the recipe here. Do your taste buds a favor, and make it as soon as you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...