Monday, March 5, 2012

Philly Kitchen: Dayo Adewole

Every other week Penn Appétit profiles a student who cooks on a college budget and in a college sized kitchen.

If anyone ever said that it takes having your own kitchen to be able to cook in college, Dayo Adewole is here to prove them wrong. Apparently all one needs is a desire to make your own food and a few generous friends who are willing to share a kitchen. Though he eats partially on a meal plan he still finds time to frequently cook in his friends’ kitchen and maybe even share an inventive recipe or two.

Penn Appétit: How did you learn to cook?
Dayo Adewole: My dad always encouraged me to follow him around the kitchen and to help out, that’s where I learned some basics and different styles of cooking. I started to cook for myself when I was 12. At first I just made food for myself but then I started to get better. When my parents tasted it and realized that it was good I started making bigger portions for the whole family.

PA: What’s the most difficult thing about cooking in a college-sized kitchen?
DA: Maybe the actual lack of a kitchen. But actually, getting ingredients can be a bit expensive. It’s still less expensive than eating in a dining hall, but you still have to plan and budget.

PA: What’s the best thing about cooking in a college-sized kitchen?
DA: You get to show off to your friends.

PA: What do you like most about cooking?
DA: I like the fact that you can create anything. I think it’s about the chance to experiment and try out new things and new flavors.
PA: On that note, what’s the most inventive thing you’ve ever cooked?
DA: Probably honey glazed shrimp. I had honey and shrimp, two things that I like, so I thought I’d put them together. It was better than expected but maybe needed a bit of tweaking for next time because honey doesn’t really go well in the fryer.

PA: What’s your favorite tool to cook with?
DA: I love the spatula, maybe because as a kid I watched a lot of SpongeBob.

Jollof Rice and Chicken

Ingredients:
• chicken
• 3 tbsp oil
• one onion
• tomato purée
• one chicken stock cube
• one red and one yellow pepper
• rice
• garlic
• ginger
• one whole tomato

Instructions:
• Fry the chicken in 2 tbsp of oil for about 10 minutes.
• Add onions and tomato purée to the chicken.
• While that's frying, separately mix the garlic, tomato, onion, and ginger to make a base.
• Add 1 tbsp of oil, the garlic tomato mixture, and the stock cube to the chicken. Add 2 cups of water as well and bring it to a boil for another 10 minutes.
• Meanwhile, wash the rice and add it to the chicken (if necessary, pour enough water to reach the level of the rice). Let simmer for 20 minutes
• Chop the peppers and add to the pot. Let cook for another 10-15 minutes. Serve and enjoy!

Do you or someone you know cook in your college sized kitchen? Want to be profiled on our next post? Send an email to pennappetit.blog@gmail.com and we’ll contact you to be featured!

No comments:

Post a Comment

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...