Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Crepes

Crepes: by Morgan Russo
Do you ever want to treat yourself to something yummy? Maybe as a reward for getting everything done on your to-do list or just because you’re just getting that craving? I get that feeling a lot – generally for chocolate. Chocolate. What a wonderful word. My freshman year I was surrounded by so many different choices to satisfy this craving. I sampled everything – from Naked Chocolate to Insomnia Cookies to the chocolate cookies at Einstein (by the way these are absolutely amazing and only 99 cents). However there was one place that really hit the spot. Le Petite Creperie. Their savory crepes are amazing but I must admit the ones with Nutella are heavenly. One bite and you are floating an inch above the ground in a state of utter bliss.

Unfortunately, I ran into a minor crisis this year. I am living in Rodin, a fair walk from my portal to heaven. After a brief moment of panicking I quickly came up with a solution: I can make my own crepes! I got a crepe pan and started making them the next day. I had to experiment a bit before getting them right, but I think I’m getting pretty good at them by now. I get really creative with the filling now as well. Instead of just Nutella, I’ve expanded my range (believe it or not) to include granola, jellies, fruit butters, honey, peanut butter, chocolate almond butter, marshmallow fluff, etc. 

I make crepes for my living group and hall now and I love it! The best part is seeing my friends get transformed into another world, just like I was. I don’t make them pay or anything; the smiles are the best payment ☺.

Here’s the recipe I use. It says it makes 8, but my crepe pan is kind of small so I can make a lot more (I think about 15).  I got this recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/basic-crepes/detail.aspx

Ingredients:
4 eggs, room temperature
1 cup whole milk, room temperature
1 cup water
¼ cup butter, melted
½ tsp salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

Instructions:
  1. Mix all the ingredients together and beat until well combined.
    Put in fridge for 2 hours to a day (this is not in the directions for this recipe, but I’ve realized you should do this for the right consistency)
    Pour a thin layer onto a pan over high heat.
    Once the bottom is slightly brown flip.
    Add whatever ingredients you want to one side of the crepe – be creative!
    Flip the other half over – kind of like an omlette
    Serve! You can put powdered sugar on top. 

Photo by MAGGIE EDKINS

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    name:
    location:
    comment:

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...