Saturday, April 21, 2012

Passover the Kugel

I was initially reluctant to leave Penn the weekend before fling for my hometown. With only several weekends left and the sun finally shining on the tables outside Houston Hall, I was bitter to miss any possible moment on campus. Yet once I stepped into my house and smelled the savory aroma of my mother’s Passover feast, I refused to leave my dining room table. While Passover prohibits the consumption of bread, there were so many scrumptious, and “bread-less” treats that kept my mouth watering. For those who love the taste of carrot-cake but crave a crispier texture, my mother’s homemade carrot kugel is the perfect recipe to try. The addition of raisins is optional, but I highly recommend mixing them in; the juicy sweetness of each of these golden bits adds an extra touch to the already heavenly flavor. Matzah lovers may opt for my mother’s famous Matzah Kugel. The kugel combines the delectable zeal of cinnamon with the crunchy goodness of apples and walnuts. The sweetness is tempered by the layers of matzah bits, resulting in a yummy side dish that might just outdo the main course! Even though Passover has ended, there is no need to wait until next year to try either of these tasty dishes. Next time you’re sick of bread, opt for the kugel!


Carrot Kugel

Ingredients


1 cup grated sweet potatoes
1 cup grated carrots
1 cup grated apples
1 cup grated Idaho potatoes
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 grated lemon rind
½ cup yellow raisins
1/2 cup sugar
½ cup matzah meal
½ cup shortening

Directions

1. Combine dry ingredients (matzah meal, sugar, salt)
2. Add raisins, apples and stir lightly
3. Add remaining ingredients
4. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes

Matzah Kugel

Ingredients

6 matzahs
4 eggs and 1 egg white
¾ tsp salt
¾ cup sugar
1/3 cup oil
1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
3 large apples – cored, peeled and sliced thin
¾ cup yellow raisins
¾ cup chopped walnuts

Directions

1. Break matzah into pieces
2. Soak in water until soft
3. Strain matzah
4. Beat eggs with salt, sugar, oil and cinnamon
5. Add to drained matzah
6. Stir in apples and raisins
7. Sprinkle with cinnamon
8. Bake at 350 degrees in pre-heated over for 40 to 50 minutes

1 comment:

  1. I`ve tried this recipe and i`m really impressed, it has a very good taste. My both child tried it and they like it a lot. Thanks a lot for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...