Friday, April 20, 2012

Square Peg: A New Twist on American

In the mood for something different, my friends and I decided to venture to Square Peg, a new restaurant at the intersection of 10th and Walnut. The restaurant describes itself as diner inspired. I would call it a casual twist on new American with a heavy southern influence. The inside of the restaurant features a lot of wood and exposed brick. Upstairs, where we were seated, a black and white photo featuring an old time bar scene covered one wall. We all decided the room had a speakeasy feel.

Square Peg’s menu includes a wide variety of appetizers, entrees, and all-day-breakfast options. As a table, we selected a variety. I chose the salmon, which came with pickled beets, greens, and horseradish. The fish was well-cooked, and the pickled beets and horseradish made for an interesting flavor combo. While I admit that I did not love the horseradish, I think that is just my personal taste. The dish was well-done. One of my friends ordered fried chicken tacos – an appetizer – and a side of fries. I snuck a taste and found that the fried chicken was more reminiscent of an Asian style dish than an American one. It had a crispy shell and a sweet black pepper caramel sauce with a spicy tinge. It was both delicious and unique. Other dishes of choice were shrimp and mussel gumbo, mac and cheese grilled cheese, bananas foster French toast, meatloaf, and herbed falafel. All the reviews came back positive.

When I go out to eat, I am often drawn to fish, but in this case, I somewhat regret the choice. While my fish was good, I feel that Square Peg’s strength is its unique dishes. If I go back, I’d like to try something a little more out there. Overall, my verdict is that Square Peg is good but not outstanding. It isn’t one of my favorite Philly restaurants, but if you’re in the mood for a unique and relatively inexpensive meal, it’s worth checking out.



1 comment:

  1. this is what i figured from scanning their menu, so i'm glad i got confirmation! :)

    ReplyDelete

name:
location:
comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...